Most of my blogs this month have revolved around water safety since it's National Water Safety Month. However, I have yet to do one on keeping your dog safe in the water. they may be able to swim, but that doesn't mean tragedy can't strike; it's best to be prepared. An article on the Monroe Monitor & Valley News Website talks about steps you can take to keep your dog safe in water. Steps include:
- Wearing a life vest - Yes they make them for dogs. It can help save their life when they get tired, or if currents are too strong for them to swim.
- Never leave your dog unsupervised
- Pool ladders - If you have a pool at home, install a dog ladder to help them get out on their own.
- Apply sunscreen - Dogs can get sunburned as well.
- Rinse him/her off after swimming - Chlorine, sweat, and bacteria can affect them as they would you. Take off the collar to let that area dry as well.
- Keep freshwater handy for your dog to drink